Now, I won't lie...some nights we splurge and pick up a yummy Papa Murph's pizza, but most the time we make our own. Dough and all! Here is a tried and true pizza dough recipe. Just choose your favorite toppings and enjoy! If you haven't ever made homemade bread, don't let this scare you off. You can totally whip this up!
Mama's Homemade Pizza Dough
I like to use a large ceramic bowl for this.
1.In your bowl put: 2/1/4 tsp active dry yeast, 1Tbsp brown sugar, 1 1/2 cups warm water. Let this sit for 10 minutes (should be slightly "bubbly").
2. Stir in 1 tsp salt and 2 Tbsp olive oil.
3. Now add 2 1/2 cups flour (sometimes I replace one of those cups with 1 cup whole wheat flour, don't use all whole wheat flour or you will have very heavy dough). This will be a sticky doughy consistency. I prefer a wooden spoon.
4. Here is where it can get tricky. I like to slather up my hands with tubbed margarine, sprinkle flour on my counter, and dump my dough onto this. Sprinkle flour over your dough and start kneading. (you may very well add up to another 1 1/2 cups of flour as you sprinkle more flour and knead). You should knead away until the dough is no longer sticky and you can roll it into a ball.
5. Spray your same big bowl with pan spray and set dough in there. Cover with a tea towel and let raise. Could take anywhere from 1-3 hours...depends on air temp in your kitchen. (really, you can let sit for a short time, but you just won't get a nice light crust and the flavor is better, I think, with complete raising time.) Dough should rise until doubled in size.
6. Punch down your dough and roll it out or push it into your pizza pan.
7. Cover dough with your sauce of choice and toppings. I also like to sprinkle a little garlic salt on dough before I spoon sauce on it.
8. Once pizza is put together, bake at 425 until golden brown cheese appears!