Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bran Muffins (your kids will eat!)

I'm always looking for recipes where I can sneak fiber in for my kids. Sometimes it tastes pretty good, sometimes not! I came across this recipe on the back of a cereal box, none the less, and they were a hit! I just changed the white sugar to brown sugar and my boys gobbled them up. A great breakfast muffin...one I make when we are hitting the road early in the morning. Just add a banana or an apple and go!

Cinnamon Streusel Bran Muffins
Topping:
3 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp cold butter or margarine (I use butter, naturally :)
Mix together in small bowl and set aside to sprinkle on top of muffins before baking.


Muffin:
1 1/4 c flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 Bran Flakes cereal
3/4 c milk
1/2 c brown sugar
2 egg whites
1/4 c veg oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c raisins (optional...I leave them out)


In a large bowl combine your milk and cereal and set aside. This needs to get nice and soggy. In another bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. In your large bowl add brown sugar, egg whites, oil, vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until all combined. Spoon into sprayed muffin pans Sprinkle topping over each muffin and bake at 400 for 18-20 min. Best served warm! (makes 12 muffins)

No comments:

Post a Comment