Friday, November 11, 2011

easy caramel bars

I love baking in my kitchen with kids. Both my mom and my grandmothers let me as a little girl climb up by them at the counter and help them bake or cook. It is some of my fondest memories as a child and probably because my passion for making food and using it to love people was part of my build-up when God made me. I would help my grandma grind whole wheat to make bread from scratch, sit and eat cake crumbs as my grandmother created beautiful cakes, or help my mom drop pork chops into flour so we could throw them in the oven for dinner. Whatever I was learning as I watched, I now know that those moments were not only teaching moments, but also a great way for my family to use my love language with me. I cherish those times and sometimes want to drive across town and let my grandma show me some more in her kitchen while I just soak it all in.

If you want an easy and yummy dessert to throw into the oven before the kids get home from school, try this out! Seriously too easy and pretty delicious :) I had two good little helpers this week to make some caramel bars. Get your helpers in the kitchen and try these out!

Easy Caramel Bars


1 pkg. white or yellow cake mix
2 Cup oatmeal, uncooked
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
1 egg
12.5 oz jar caramel ice cream topping (This last batch I used caramel-butterscotch topping)


Mix together dry cake mix, oatmeal, and brown sugar. Add oil and egg. Mix well. (will be a dry dough like texture) Spread half of batter into 13 by 9 greased pan. Press around with fingers. Spread caramel topping over first layer. Sprinkle remaining batter on top. Bake for 30ish minutes at 350.  Enjoy!




1 comment: