Tuesday, November 8, 2011

baked oatmeal

Alright, I have managed to make my first post about food. With a new babe in the house adding anything to my list these days takes lots of consideration as to whether it is worth my time and efforts. Starting this "addition" to my blog has been on the fence for some time now (even pre-baby!) and I'm happy to say I feel good about taking time to blog about....well, oatmeal. Now before you decide that I have really got my priorities screwed up, let me just put a disclaimer out there: I enjoy cooking and baking. It is very therapeutic at times for me, as well as something that energizes me often too. I feel like myself when I have a good batch of anything baking in the oven and I love the chance to feed the loves in my life well. While I enjoy the food end of this project, I also have a heart for encouraging others to love their family through the art of cooking. Anybody can love their family and friends through food if they want to. People learn new things everyday! 

There is a lot to be learned from preparing food and sharing something delicious around a table together. It takes some prep time and some resources. And a heart that cares about providing that experience for your loved ones regularly.  I hope to be a resource for you with this blog. I do not in any way consider myself a gourmet cook or even an outstanding cook. I am your typical mid-west, grew up on a good ole Iowa farm, meat and potatoes kind of cooking girl. I learned a lot from my farm wife mama, grandma's, and yes, even 4-H. I like simple recipes and I like home-cooked anything. You won't find a lot of health crazy recipes on this blog, but more like recipes that call for butter, buttermilk, and chocolate chips :) I do think eating well is important though and I try really hard to provide fresh and organic as often as possible (both availability and financial affordability are always considered). I have fun with cooking, include my boys (and any others kids in my kitchen at the time) as often as I can, and share my recipes with anybody. I have made some really bad things and have a few things I'm known well for. One of those few that I will share today is my favorite baked oatmeal!

With 5 people now in our family and 2 of them leaving the house daily I like to attempt to make a hot breakfast at least 3 times a week. I think breakfast is important to start the day right and what a perfect opportunity to begin the day gathered together at the table. We use this time for a variety of things... morning conversation, Bible or devotion time, chat about your day time, homework time, get dressed as you eat time, nurse a baby time. I try to have things organized each night before bed so we can wake and have the first few things happen on that list, rather then the last few things... but you just never know!

An easy recipe to throw together the night before so you can serve a hot breakfast in the morning is baked oatmeal. Even if you don't like oatmeal, I almost can promise you will like this. I like to make a big 13 by 9 pan and warm it up in the oven the next day too. It takes about 10 minutes to put together and you get 2 mornings of hot breakfast for your crew. Also makes a great dish for those mornings you have guests staying over! Serve with fresh fruit and a glass of milk and you are set!

Baked Oatmeal

1 1/4 c oil
2 1/2 c milk
2 1/2 c sugar (brown or white, I use mostly brown)
5 eggs, beaten
7 1/2 c oatmeal
5 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp salt
cinnamon (to your tasting)

Cream together sugar, oil, and eggs. add oatmeal, baking powder, salt, milk,and cinnamon. Put in greased 13 by 9 pan.  (I prefer stone pan) Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.




3 comments:

  1. I will definitely try this! Excited to follow your new blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must try. Soon. YUM! I like the new blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I not know about this blog?? I was just thinking about baked oatmeal this morning... and wanting to dig out the recipe. now I don't have to! :)

    ReplyDelete