Thursday, January 10, 2013

Cheesy Potato Soup

If I lived by myself, I would live off of soup. But, I don't (thank goodness), so I have a hand full of soup recipes that I love and can even convince my house full of boys to enjoy for a meal or two with me! Soup is my go-to meal on weekends in the winter. You can throw it together in the morning and it is warm in the crock-pot all day. My husband says cheese is the compliment to every dish...so this cheesy potato soup might be towards his fave of the soups I place before him when I am sure he would rather have meat and potatoes!! I have been making this for years and it never disappoints. I hope you'll give it a try.

Cheesy Potaoe Soup
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 1/2 cup chopped celery
5-8 cups diced potatoes (I like thicker soup, so I do more potatoes)
2 tsp. salt
1 can evaporated milk
2 Tbsp fresh parsley (or flakes)
1 cup milk or half & half
1 lb Velveeta cheese 
1/4 cup butter
2 cup cubed ham or bacon (we prefer ham)
pepper (to your tasting)



Chop all your veggies and place in a soup pot.


Cover your veggies just enough so the water is barely covering it. Add your salt and boil this for about 20 minutes.  Mash your potatoes just a bit as you stir it.


Turn the heat off and add all your remaining ingredients.


Turn your heat on medium and bring to a bubbley stage. once it is bubbely, turn to low and stir occasionally. 


I like to let it sit for awhile to thicken, but you can eat it right away too!


Mmm-mmm...and as always, serve with a smile and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment