Tuesday, September 4, 2012

it's apple season!

While I love the season of grilled food every night and fresh veggies from the garden, I also must admit...I love fall foods. Or maybe I just love food? Either way, apple season is here! Down at market the apple farmer made his appearance for the first time this last weekend, so it's safe to say the fall's finest dishes can start being made to enjoy! Between applesauce and apple dumplings and apple crisp comes the most looked forward to apple dish in our home..apple pie :) Probably my husband's favorite dessert I make, next to strawberry pie and for sure a must to smell up the house real nice and serve at the end of the back-yard dinner meal. And the best part? You can make this....fairly easily! (yes, YOU, who have never attempted a home-made pie!!) I promise! So gather your apples and warm up that oven. Fall is ready to visit your table!

Easy Crust
1 cup flour
1/2 cup crisco
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup very cold water

Apple Pie Filling
5 cups of peeled, sliced, and rinsed Granny Smith apples
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I think it's around 1/2 tsp...I just sprinkle some in)
dash of nutmeg
dash of salt
2-4 Tbsp butter (slice and place on top of filling before you lay top crust in)


I think the best apple pie apples are Granny Smith, but any apple can do the job.

I like to add my crust ingredients together in my glass mixing bowl and knead together. Once it is fairly mixed I dump the pile onto a floured surface and knead away the rest until I have a nice round ball of dough. (and I double this crust recipe for two pie crusts)

Once your ball of dough is not too sticky that it sticks to the rolling pin, but not too dry that it crumbles, you are ready to roll out those crusts! You can do this...seriously.

I sprinkle a little flour on the top of the dough ball and roll out in each direction until big enough to fill the pie pan. Roll both crusts out. Lay your first one in the pan and set the 2nd one aside for the top.

Pinch your crusts down against the edge and leave just enough to pinch the top crust together when you are done filling it. You will have a little hanging over the edge of your pie pan.

Next, prepare your filling. Slice your apples and throw together with sugar, flour, nutmeg, salt, and cinnamon.

Set your butter pats on top.

Lay your top crust on top and cut along edge of pie pan to get rid of extra crust. Pinch together or use a fork to mold two crusts together.

Poke a cute design or poke at least a few air holes to let it breathe while it bakes.

Bake in your pre-heated oven at 400 degrees. If you time it well, put it in an hour before your hubs gets home from work... who doesn't love to walk into an apple pie scented house?

And the best part! Serve with a smile and enjoy! Happy pie making mama's!!

2 comments:

  1. I love to make carmel from poaching the peels. Then put some in the pie filling and then more on top after its on the plate. Looks good Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't understand if I needed to double the crust to make a top and bottom crust OR if doubling was for 2 pies :) I didn't double and it seemed to turn out ok (for my 1st attempt at least!) It certainly isn't photo worthy, BUT it is beyond edible!!! Yum, thanks!

    ReplyDelete