Friday, December 2, 2011

sweet as pie

One thing I love about Thanksgiving is the variety of dishes you get to try out! Now I know Thanksgiving is all wrapped up, but if you want to try a new recipe out for Christmas or for next year...I suggest this one! Not a lot of people love sweet potatoes, but they are REALLY good for you, so I try to use them when I can. I like to boil them, run them under cold water, and just let the peel fall off easily. I mash them up and sometimes freeze them for throwing into tomato sauce foods (spaghetti sauce, lasagna, meatballs sometimes, you get the idea). It is an easy way to sneak some good nutrients in (and by sneak, I mean you don't tell your kids or husband you put it in what they are eating. What they don't know just helps them in this case :) 
However, I do "sweeten" this dish up quite a bit, but it is super yummy in the end. And what's a Thanksgiving without a super sweet yummy dish on your plate!!

Sweet as Pie, Sweet Potatoes Dish

Boil sweet potatoes until soft. Peel and mash. About 3-4 cups needed.

Mix sweet potatoes with:
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup soft butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup orange juice

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
2 Tbsp soft butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup mini marshmallows

Combine above ingredients and then place into 13 by 9 greased dish or use a casserole dish of your choosing. Hand mix your topping together until crumbly and sprinkle over sweet potatoes mixture. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until lightly brown and bubbly. Serve warm!

 Mashed sweet potatoes


 ready for oven

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment