Sunday, May 27, 2012

French Brunch muffins

This tasty muffin reminds me of my grandmother's flavor in her custard that she used to make for us. I love how flavors from our childhood can quickly bring us back to a place and time. As I ate these muffins I remembered sitting at the table in my grandma's house, green table-cloth, windows open blowing the white sheer curtains towards me, as I spooned her chilled custard into my mouth and watched grandma sip her coffee from her apple china coffee cup. These muffins weren't her custard, but they made me think of her just the same.
Empty cupboards in my house had me searching for an easy, yet yummy brunch muffin for after church one Sunday. It's amazing what empty cupboards will make you do with whats on hand. Sometimes we must be stripped of what we think we need to create something wonderful and we wouldn't have attempted had we had what we thought we needed. These muffins are pretty simple and if you are a baker at all, you probably have what you need in your cupboards to whip these up quick!

French Brunch Muffins
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c white sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/2 c milk (I used buttermilk for this batch, just cuz I needed to use it up)
1/3 c melted butter

Combine these ingredients and place in a 6 cup muffin pan. I prefer a stoneware muffin pan for even browning and baking. But a tin pan works just as well. Once you've poured your batter in each cup, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Mmmmmm, serve warm. My kids loved them (and so did the hubs!).  And as always, serve with a smile and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment